Jul 29, 2009

The rest of the story.*

So here we are at accident plus four (at least I think it’s four... Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. Yep! Four.).

It’s been a busy couple of days but days are always busier when you are getting around on crutches. Also, the days tend to blur together a little bit. I had been really sore on Sunday (d’uh!) and that was the story most of the day. The Monday adventure of getting down to the car and the hospital really was exhausting.

Monday night after I got back from that trip, I just conked out. I wound up waking up around 2 in the morning and puttering around for awhile before I fell back asleep around 6am. Meantime, the plan was to be down at the orthopedist to get a cast put on the leg by 9:15.

I managed to do this somehow. I actually got down there more or less when I was supposed to. This however, underscored something I came to realize quickly; there are a lot of people with handicap shields that really don’t need them.

The building I went down to is some kind of satellite facility for an area hospital and as such, there’s a good deal of traffic into the place. When I got down there for my appointment it turned out every handicap spot was taken (except for the one right by the entrance that was being blocked by the truck of the company that was upgrading the landscaping around the building).

There was another nice handicap spot I just missed by a back door but it got taken by an older couple who popped out of their car looking for all the world like they had a round of golf scheduled after their appointment.

I don’t park in handicap spots. I mean, in my world it just wouldn’t be cool. When my father was really sick there was a point where I thought he should have handicap tags but I never got around to it and really he went out less and less anyway.

I didn’t have tags on my car but, boy! was I desperate to park closer to the building. As it was I crutched about the length of a football field (ouch). The big thing here is not so much the leg itself or how tiring this might be but all the other things which are sore at the moment. The main thing being the rib followed by those big glaring patches of skin.

Well, I made it to the place, got in and got a cast put on my foot. Hobbled around and got another x-ray and was set until next week (when I go back and they look at the thing again). I also managed to get a note from them so I could get a temporary handicap tag and I wound up going to the local Village Hall to do just that.

Thing is the Village Hall also is the place where they have the court too. So to get to the appropriate window, I had to go through the metal detector. Let’s not even go into the stupidity of that whole experience (forcing me to go through the metal detector and then having to wand me anyway).

It’s over though and I even managed to pick up my shirts and some bread from the local bakery although by this point I was lagging.

Someone came over to give me a hand around the house in the afternoon and by the time the evening rolled around once more I was wiped. Today, has just been a bit of muddling around doing this or that and trying to figure out ways to make the next few weeks a little easier. I ordered some stools to propel myself around on and avoid the crutch thing inside.

Other than that though, things really aren’t too bad.

* with apologies to Paul Harvey, Good day!

No comments: